Consider this. You’ve invited friends over for a meal. You’re looking for a dessert that you can prep and forget about. Hassle-free. Fancy shmancy. Should be quick too…
I’ve got just the thing for you!
Four simple steps:
- Chop strawberries and basil.
- Whip up basil cream.
- Bake filo.
If you’re feeling lazy and looking for a way to skip a step, then skip the last one! Make your friends do the work! Tell them it’s a fun “DIY” dessert! ;):p
Strawberry & Basil Mille-Feuille
- 5 to 10 strawberries(depending on the size)
- 3/4 cup whipped cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese(room temperature)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves(packed)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 sheet of filo pastry
- melted butter
For the Preparation
- Slice the strawberries.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar on them and let them macerate.
- Chop the basil finely and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese till it is soft.
- Add the finely chopped basil to it and whip till well combined.
- Fold in the whipped cream gently with a spatula. (You can adjust the sweetness according to your taste by whipping in some granulated sugar at this stage )
- Transfer the cream into a pastry bag.
- Take the filo pastry sheet and apply melted butter all over it.
- Cut out 9 rectangles of equal size, approximately 12cm long and 8cm wide. Lay the pastry onto a baking paper lined tray.
- Bake the filo sheets at 200°C for 4-8 minutes or till golden brown. Once they cool down, store in an airtight container.
For the Assembly
- On a plate, lay down 3 sheets of filo, pipe the basil cream on top, add a layer of the macerated strawberry slices and repeat the process twice using 3 sheets each time.
- Be sure to store the filo pastry in an airtight container or else it won’t stay crunchy.
- Prep the components beforehand and assemble right before the dish is to be served so that the filo pastry stays crunchy.
- You can even use ready made puff pastry.