These cookies make you feel all warm inside! No, seriously… The spices and ginger will actually make you warm on the inside! It’s perfect for a cold winter night. Candles, some hot chocolate and these gingersnap cookies, with Bing Crosby’s “I’ll be home for christmas” playing in the background. Now thats’s my idea of a perfect Christmas! Well if only it would snow here. Sigh…
Soft and Chewy Gingersnap Cookies
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder(optional)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp tbsp freshly grated peeled ginger
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp boiling water
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat the oven at 180°C.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa and set aside.
- Beat butter, freshly grated ginger and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add in the molasses and whisk till combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in boiling water.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture then beat in baking soda mixture.
- Fold in the remaining flour mixture.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Scoop 1tbsp of dough and roll into balls.
- Bake at 180°C for about 8 to 10 minutes or until cracks start to form.
- I didn’t have any granulated sugar but you can roll then cookie dough in it and then put them for bake.