I was requested for a dessert made with dates and instantly I thought of Sticky Toffee Pudding, a British classic generally made during the onset of winter to warm up the insides! There could not have been better timing!
Sticky Toffee Pudding
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven at 180ºC and line the 6×6 inch-baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl sieve the flour, cinnamon powder and salt and set aside.
- Heat milk with the dates for 2 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and sprinkle over the baking soda and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in another bowl.
- Gently fold in the milk and dates mix.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, half the quantity at a time.
- Transfer to the baking pan.
- Bake at 180ºC for 20-25 minutes.
- Heat sugar in a heavy bottom saucepan till it melts and turns amber in color.
- Add the honey and heat it for 2 more minutes.
- Slowly add in the cream.
- Sprinkle the salt to finish.
- Take the cake out of the oven and pour the Toffee Sauce over it.
- Serve with a scoop of your favourite vanilla ice cream.
- You can use Maple Syrup or Golden Syrup instead of Honey.
- Keep an eye on the cake after 20 minutes as baking time varies for each oven. Bake till the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the sponge comes out clean.
- Pour the Toffee Sauce over the cake while its hot.