I love salted caramel! Combine that with chocolate and you’re in heaven!
I have always been skeptical about making caramel, what with all the temperature precision and technicality. Well, if you feel just the way I do then you’re in for a treat! This recipe for caramel sauce is pretty easy and has nothing to do with thermometers.
This cake may look like a lot of work, with three elements to make. Don’t let it fool you! Each of the elements are pretty easy to make and you can always divide the time by making the caramel sauce ahead of time.
And if all those layers intimidate you, just call a friend over and turn it into a weekend bake! Really, what are friends for, if not for getting fat with each other!? Maybe for getting together and creating awesome desserts too! Thanks Shreya(from Essange Cakes) for this lovely collab!
Salted Caramel and Chocolate Cake
For the Chocolate Sponge
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup butter(melted)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup water
For the Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cream(amul cream will do)
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Buttercream
- 200g butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven at 180°C and line three 6’’ tins with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and allow it to come to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients together.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, half at a time and combine everything into a batter.
- Divide the batter into three 6’’ tins and bake at 180°C or till a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Melt the sugar in a large heavy bottom pan over heat and let it turn an amber colour.
- Add melted butter to the sugar and stir the mixture continuously.
- Once the butter and sugar combine, carefully add the cream. The mixture will start to boil. To avoid a spill, take a deep pan and pour the cream in a little at a time.
- Once all the cream is in, bring the mixture to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool and come to room temperature.
- Whisk the butter and sugar till it becomes fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and caramel sauce and whisk together to combine.
- Carve the three chocolate sponges if they are uneven at the top and level them out.
- Assemble the cake with layers of sponge, caramel sauce and buttercream, one on top of the other. (Sprinkle some sea salt on the caramel sauce between two layers of sponges)
- Top the cake with an additional layer of caramel sauce.
- If you don’t have 6 inch pan, you can divide the batter amongst two 8inch pans and make a 2 layer cake. Oven cooking time for 8 inch pan is 30-35 minutes. Keep an eye on the cakes after 25 minutes because cooking time varies for each oven. Bake till a toothpick inserted into the sponge comes out clean.
- When making the caramel, be very careful not to taste or touch it as gets really hot.
- You can add more or less sugar depending upon the consistency of the buttercream.