Whenever a favourite fruit is about to go out of season, I run to the kitchen and jam it up in order to be able to enjoy it for just a little longer! Plums are in season. Not for long though. Action must be taken.
This jam is so easy to make, all you need is just-ripe plums and a little bit of sugar. No lemon, no pectin, no complications.
- 4 medium-sized plums
- 1/3 cup + 4 tbsp sugar
- Cut the plums into quarters and pit them.
- Sprinkle them with sugar and stir with a spoon. Let the plums sit at room temperature in the sugar for an hour.
- Mash the plums after the resting period.
- Transfer the mixture into a cooking pot and place it over the stove.
- Heat the mixture on medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally(so that the mixture doesn’t burn).
- Simmer it till it has thickened and attained jam consistency.
- Pour into a sterilised jar after the mixture cools.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir. This will prevent crystallisation.
- Turn off the heat when the mixture attains runny jam consistency. It tends to thicken after cooling.
- You can add more sugar to taste while its cooking. This will depend on how ripe the plums are.
- This recipe will make approximately 50 to 100 grams of jam. You can double or triple the recipe according to the amount you would like to make.